AEM wizard never finishes in OpsMgr R2

Hey Folks,

I wanted to give you a heads up on an issue I ran into today with OpsMgr R2 and AEM.

I have been setting up OpsMgr today as part of a Client Monitoring project for a large customer, the engineer I am working with is not a domain admin but is a local admin on the OpsMgr boxes. After installing the DB's using the dbcreate wizard ( the customer did not want any unnecessary registry keys on the SQL box) and then the rest of the OpsMgr components, we went on to configure AEM by running the AEM wizard from a management server in administration, we went through all of the steps however when we clicked to create the share, the console just sat there and never completed.

When I looked under the covers, all of the shares were set up along with the user groups, but the wizard just never came to an end, more alarmingly though, when I cancelled the wizard and shut down the console , the Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe process still remained running, and in fact after going through this process several more times I was left with multiple Microsoft.MOM.UI.Console.exe processes running despite not even having a console physically running. I took from this that whatever was happening to the AEM wizard was actually hanging the console process but without actually crashing the console.


Getting to the root cause of this problem was not easy, as there was nothing in the event logs on the console server or RMS, debug viewer drew a blank, then I came across the following in the SQL database server event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 28005
Date: xx-xx-xxxx
Time: xx:xx:xx
User: N/A
Computer: BLA
Description:
An exception occurred while enqueueing a message in the target queue. Error: 15404, State: 19. Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'DOMAIN\ACCOUNT', error code 0xea.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 65 6d 00 00 10 00 00 00 em......
0008: 08 00 00 00 53 00 43 00 ....x.x.
0010: 4f 00 4d 00 53 00 51 00 x.x.x.x.
0018: 4c 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 x.......
0020: 6d 00 61 00 73 00 74 00 m.a.s.t.
0028: 65 00 72 00 00 00 e.r...

This is commonly the result of having the OpsMgr DBOwner set to the name of the person installing it, which in our case was what we had done as we couldn't wait a day for the proper service accounts to be generated.

So I changed the db owner of the Ops DB to SA using the SQL query  "sp_changdbowner sa" (in case you're interested), and hey presto the wizard went through without a problem.

I have had this as an issue with discovering network devices in a number of cases, but this is the first time that I have seen it cause an issue with the AEM Wizard.

Moral of the story here is always log on with your SDK account when creating your DB......